9th World Congress of Metropolis, Sydney 2008
The 9th World Congress of Metropolis held in Sydney from 22 to 25 October 2008 hailed great success with:
- 600 formal delegates
- 800 people at the opening ceremony
- 800 people attending the public talk held by the City of Sydney
- 500 school students involved
- 400 delegates attending satellite events
- 350 members of the public attending the open forum Agora
- 5 dedicated Metropolis research books published
- 10 thousand copies of the research books distributed
- 25 Congress Partners and 12 Industry Partners
- 80 cities represented
Overall, the Congress featured 58 sessions and gathered approximately 150 speakers. Additionally, the Congress held social events at such remarkable venues as Sydney Opera House and the Overseas Passenger Terminal. The press conferences and the media results include the front- page story in the Sydney Morning Herald, articles in all major Sydney Metropolitan Newspapers, local television and radio coverage including Channel 7 and ABC TV, SBS radio interviews in many languages.
During the General Assembly Meeting held on 25 October 2008, the candidature of City of Barcelona to hold permanently the seat of the Secretariat General of Metropolis has been approved. At the Board of Directors Meeting, new members of the Board of Directors as well the candidature of Mr. Jordi Hereu, Mayor of Barcelona, as a First Executive Vice-president have been approved.
The General Assembly has also approved the "Partnership for Urban Innovation" Initiative, a program which will encourage the alliance between distinguished private sector companies and members of Metropolis in order to integrate innovative solutions within the Cities.